Chelsea - Stamford Bridge

Chelsea - Stamford Bridge

Saturday, February 8, 2014

#UOSM2008 Topic 1: Digital Visitors & Residents



“Explain the concept of digital “visitors” and “residents” drawing upon your reading and your own online experiences to date in support of the points that you make”.

Because of the rapid growth of the technologies in the past few decades, people have been categorized into two groups. One group consists of people who were born in the digital age and were surrounded by the technologies, such as video games, emails, the Internet, social networks, etc. and are considered the “native speakers” of computers or “digital residents”. In contrast, the other group consists of people who have come to technology later in their life, normally people from the older generation (Prensky, 2001).

There are some clear differences between the groups (White et al., 2012):

Digital Visitors:
  • They have defined goals or tasks when they are using technologies, especially the Internet.
  • They are quite concerned about personal privacy issues, as they stay relatively anonymous and avoid creating a digital identity.
  • For them, online social networking (e.g. Facebook, Twitter) is considered to be banal and time wasting.
  • In their opinion, the Web is just a set of tools which can be used only for specific tasks, such as search and retrieve data (/information), communicate via emails, etc.

Digital Residents:
  • They see the web as a place where all friends and colleagues gather together.
  • Part of their life is spent online.
  • They have profiles on various social networks and they feel themselves as a part of the community.
  • The distinction between online and offline life is becoming more and more blur for them.

However, is this distinction between people precise and always true? Does it define how well and efficiently they use online sources? Definitely Not!  Data indicates that despite the fact that most of the people over 55 are made up of Visitors there are lots of examples of Residents in that among them. In the same manner, not every young person under 25 is a digital Citizen (White, 2008). The reason for these rule breaking is the fact that it is not important “what” you are using on the web, but “how” you are using it.

As an example in support of these exceptions from my personal life a good friend of mine is studying Computer Science, but he was surprised when I have introduced him well-known websites, such as scholar.google.com, dl.acm.org and ieeexplore.ieee.org for searching online articles and conference papers. At the same time, my parents are far from technologies, but they can easily access the Internet, purchase tickets for bus, planes and trains, book hotels and read news from websites and sources existence of which I don’t even know about.

To conclude, after a research on this topic, I have realised that we, the young generation, as a ‘Residents’ of the web have more advantages than ‘Visitors’, because we are familiar with the language of technologies around us. Our duty is to use these technologies as effectively as possible, because as was stated previously it doesn’t matter what do you use, it is how you are using it. 

8 comments:

  1. Hey Eldar,
    Thank you for referring me to your blog, I like the clear layout, it is a lot less intimidating than the blocks of text in my own.
    I was interested to see that in your post you give the impression that being a ‘Visitor’ or a ‘Resident’ is mutually exclusive. Do you not feel that this model could be seen as a continuum, with ‘Visitors’ and ‘Residents’ being at either end of the spectrum? I personally found from my own research there was a need for much more in-depth categorisations of users. For instance in my blog post you may remember Horrigans (2007), 10 typologies of Internet users.
    In your opening paragraph you seem to have gotten a bit mixed up with Prensky (2001) definition and Whites (2011). Whites definition removes the stigma surrounding age, so to be a ‘digital resident’ you do not have to be a ‘native’ born into technology. I see what you have tried to say but you have wrongly used ‘Residents’ instead of ‘Natives’, in your description.
    All in all you have made a good first attempt at your blog post, however I would stress that you should double check for grammatical errors before publishing (a mistake I make myself).

    Here's the link to Horrigans paper, if you would like to do some extra reading :-)

    http://www.pewinternet.org/~/media/Files/Reports/2007/PIP_ICT_Typology.pdf.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jazmin,

      Thanks a lot for your feedback, I love criticism because it helps me to improve.
      You are completely right about the mix in the first paragraph, but to be honest it was done deliberately, because I wanted to mix them in order to explain my point easily. As far as I can see it didn't work :D. The next time I should be more specific.
      As I have mentioned previously, you really enjoyed the table you have produced related to the divisions of the users (10 groups). And I do agree with it.
      Grammatical mistakes is my weak point :) As a non-English speaker and a person who knows and speaks 4 languages it is quite normal for me to make mistakes and mix languages. I promise to try my best to improve in the second Topic, and it will be pleasure for me to see your comments on it

      Regards, Eldar.

      Delete
    2. As a very ignorant Brit I can only speak one language, so I can only imagine how difficult it is to write in your non-native tongue. If you ever want anything proof reading, feel free to send it my way.

      Delete
    3. Yeap Jazmin, it is quite difficult, but the joy of it outstands the difficulty. That will be very nice, it is wonderful to know that. My new blog is out, and it would be pleasure to see your comment under it :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Eldar!

    First of all great blog post and I’m loving the background picture as well!
    Your blog is clear and concise and does a great job of dividing up the different characteristics between digital visitors and digital residents.
    Your points regarding that age should not be a determining factor of which category you are out in, in my opinion are absolutely correct. The individual’s strengths and uses of IT should be considered rather than simply being herded like sheep into a particular category.

    Your thoughts on being technologically literate being advantageous are similar to my own, in that once you have mastered one key service for example Google, this links very well with others. Gmail, Google+, Google shopping and the Android Mobile OS.
    It would be interesting to consider what you would need as a complete beginner accessing the internet for the first time, an e-mail account would be a good start. But most ISP’s require an e-mail as part of the registration process! Even mobile devices, such as the Apple iPad won’t let you download apps without an account, of which an e-mail is part of this sign up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim,

      Pleasure to read this comment, mate. Thanks a lot for your feedback, but as Jazmin mentioned above there are still lots of places for improvement.
      The point about the email account is quite interesting and to be honest I've never even thought about it. I think this is because of me being a Digital Resident of the web (in my opinion) and I consider this kind of stuff as pre-requirement. And you are completely right on this topic, because now I cannot imagine any kind of service that would not require an email account: Amazon, Ebay, Microsoft (windows 8), ... true point mate. Looking forward to read your posts.

      Regards, Eldar

      Delete
  3. Hey Eldar! Great blog post, I like the way you set out the post to make it clearer for the reader with the use of bullet points and clear definition of the characteristics displayed by the digital visitor and resident.

    I agree that even if someone is proficient at using the computer and internet, this does not mean they necessarily have the skills to perform other tasks and use other tools the internet provides; like the example of your Computer Scientist friend. This leads me to the question, do you believe the concept of digital visitors and residents forms a continuum to which people can find themselves inbetween the two, and showing some attributes from each entity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kimberly,

      Thanks a lot for this kind of feedback, I'm happy that you liked the structure and layout.
      Answering your question: Yes, yes and once again yes :) By researching through the topic I could not understand why this division was made, of course it does make sense because of the clear differences that I have mentioned in my post, but still why? There are so many exceptions of this rule that the rule starts to lose its meaning anymore.
      I really enjoyed the blog post of Jazmin Curzon, and I think I would like it as well. There you kind find opinion of people dividing users not only in 2 groups, but even in 10 (Link: http://jazzcurzon.com/?p=531)
      Hope to see your comments again.

      Regards, Eldar

      Delete