Chelsea - Stamford Bridge

Chelsea - Stamford Bridge

Saturday, March 15, 2014

#UOSM2008 Topic 3 - Reflective Summary

So, it is time to summarize on the Topic 3: ways to develop your professional online profile. Unfortunately, I wasn't lucky enough this time with the number of comments on my post, that’s why the great thanks to George Chiverton, whose comment I had pleasure to read. I will try to do my best next time to improve my grammar and be more exact in the references I make and don’t mix meanings up. As there aren't many comments on my blog, I will go for mentioning the important points, in my opinion, from both, my own blog and the classmates’:
  • Firstly, relevant to mention that I have enjoyed reading Alysia Wildman’s post, not just because of the content, but mostly because she have applied everything she have mentioned on her blog to her own online professional profile on LinkedIn. I think it’s a much better idea than mine, but still it is never late for me to do it.
  • Secondly, one of the new aspects for me was “video CV” and to be honest, I was quite surprised to read about it (blogs of Emma Meheux and Kimberly Fenton). Despite my interest and surprise, I have concluded to myself that this kind of self-branding depends completely on the area a person is searching a job in, so for example, in the area of my interest, IT, it will not be as powerful as in Marketing.
  • The importance of having an online professional profile. As it was already mentioned in my blog, “According to the studies, 75% of HR department are checking their applicants online and 50% of them say that it influences their decision (Microsoft, 2013)”. Not having one, and hiding your yourself from others, will cause more harm than help, as employers might think that you are not a social person.

Last but not least, I just want to state that we should focus not only on the social networks, such as LinkedIn. Yes, certainly it provides more broad and deep insight about a person than any other network, with all various sections and subsections to be filled describing the person. However, the networks, such as Twitter, Tumblr, Google+, etc. represent a person’s inner characteristics not visible on the CV: his/her opinions on different topics, worldview, ability to communicate with others and so on. We never know what a potential employer can be interested in, so why not to be ready from different sides?

Reference
Microsoft, 2013. Online Safety Research. [Online] Available at: http://www.microsoft.com/security/resources/research.aspx#reputation [Accessed 7 March 2014].

No comments:

Post a Comment